Monday, June 13, 2016

Final Reflection

Part 1: Me
1. What has photography helped you learn about yourself? How?
2. What was a challenge this semester? Why?
3. What is your best work? Why?
4. What project would you choose to re-do to improve it, and why?
5. What will you be mindful of when taking photographs in the future? Why?

Part 2: Photography
1. How would you describe the importance of light to a non-photographer?
2. What is your favorite time of day to photograph? Why?
3. How does one go about making a good photograph? How?
4. What constitutes a "good" photograph? Why?

            Photography has taught me that I need to be more patient and I need to wait or create that perfect shot, but doing so can take some time. The biggest challenge I had was finding time to take the photographs for this project. The combination of work I was being given in my classes along with the work my dad was having me do to a large chunk out of my schedule. This made it difficult to find time to take the photographs. The best work I've done (in my opinion) was the Spring Break Project. This project allowed me to combine my two favorite types of photography so I was much more enthusiastic about completing it, unlike most of the other projects. The one project I would choose to re-do is the light box project. I would re-do this one because the box I made wasn't really the best and I could have used better lighting. I only had one desk lamp and my phone flashlight (which is quite dim compared to the lamp), so my lighting wasn't very good. In the future, I will be more mindful of lighting. In all of my project, I could have used better lighting on my subjects.

            Subject lighting is critical for photography, although, it is still quite dependent. Lighting is dependent on the type of photography that is being practiced because some types require little light while others require a great amount of light and others in between. My favorite time of day to photograph is in the middle of the day. This is because this is the time when the most people are outside and there is plenty of lighting from the sun. It allows me to increase my shutter speed so I can take pictures of faster moving objects light insects and birds. There are infinite ways to make a good photograph. Lighting needs to be bright or dark enough, shutter speed needs to be fast or slow enough, ISO needs to be high or low enough, and the photographer needs to have an endless imagination. A "good" photograph is very subjective. What one person thinks is an excellent photograph, another might thing the exact opposite. All that matters, is that the photographer likes what the photographer has captured.

No comments: